Charnal House

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JanCarolSeidr

Charnal House

The charnal – skeletons, ghouls, etc. – may feel scary and negative, but it is actually an important shamanic and spiritual lesson. That you did not feel ready for it is your choice, but I’ll talk about it a little bit to ease you in – because if you’ve seen it before, it may be waiting for you.

Not all darkness is spiritual attack. Sometimes it is a simple expression of a stage of learning. 

For example, in Hindu practice, it is considered a high spiritual calling to meditate on the bodies of the decaying dead at the charnel grounds. It is a pilgrimage to go to the 8 famous charnel grounds of India, and experience each one, meditating on the recent dead, the decaying, the skeletons, the cremation, the ashes. I found an article here: The 8 Great Charnel Grounds are In Your Mind which compares the 8 charnel grounds to 8 spiritual lessons inside.

Buddhism also has a tradition of meditating on death. I remember one which was to imagine your own death, your own decay, complete with worms and rot, as your flesh returned to the earth. The value in Buddhism is a meditation on impermanence, to release one from the suffering of ego.

Even Christianity has its own meditations on death – the stations of the Cross are a meditation on the death of Jesus, in preparation for his resurrection. Some of the monasteries would build ossuaries out of the bones of their dead, or of massacres. One of the meditations would be to stay in these rooms and make peace with death.

Seeing the dead, the ghouls, is not always a bad thing, and can deepen your experience of life.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.